Movin_In (1)

A New Home

Kristy and I arrived in Boston five years ago to an apartment rented sight unseen. We drove 18 hours to get there with our dog Colby watching the changing landscape in the back seat. A dream job brought us there, and now pursuing our dream of owning our own company is sending us to a new home 2,000 miles away.

Making a change this big is, well, just scary. It would have been so easy to just continue. We loved Boston but we felt a draw and, as usual, we followed our gut. Crossing the threshold happened in the same way that we started Quinn Popcorn; by lying to ourselves a little. We put our home on the market, assuring each other that it would take months to sell. A week later it was sold and we had 4 weeks to get out.

This kicked off an insane two months. On top of Quinn (the startup food company) and Quinn (the 3 year old boy), there was newborn Nash, and now we were moving it all across the country. Sleep was nonexistent, it wasn’t always nice or pretty (see above photo), but now we are on the other side and it’s wonderful.

The other side is Boulder Colorado. Boulder had been tugging at us, pulling us in, for a few years. It’s the perfect place for a startup food company. This is the epicenter of the natural food startup world. Beyond the established national brands that have come from Boulder (Celestial Seasonings, Justin’s, EVOL, Boulder Chips, Izze, Udi’s, Rudi’s Bakery, Madhava, and others) there’s an active community of young companies like Quinn. Most of our food network was already here, and now we are part of a like-minded and like-missioned community. I can’t overstress how important that is.

The one essential piece that made this move possible was that our team was on board. We’d been talking about it for over a year and slowly letting the idea take root. Our new warehouse is on the other side of the country, but it’s full of the same people. That’s just incredible.

This move is a major milestone for Quinn Popcorn. We are invigorated, pushing to change the food industry and pushing to make Quinn a household name. There’s a long way to go.

COMMENTS

1. Elizabeth wrote:

Congrats! I’m making the same move in August–glad you guys will still be close to home

2. Susan wrote:

Welcome to Colorado! As a Native, I hope you come to love our state as much as I do! (Go into the mountains and just breathe the fresh air – great stress reliever!)

3. Jeremie wrote:

Congrats on the new digs, and I hope it goes well!
    ( and that there is time for sleep at some point too 🙂 )

4. Ivan Y wrote:

Congratulations on the successful relocation and, most importantly, on a new addition to your family! 😀

5. PA Computer Guy wrote:

Congrats on the move!

Aruba! One (very) Happy Island. 🙂

6. Nicole Walters wrote:

Congrats…where as I love my home, I would love a vaction home in columbus, ohio, I love the city.

7. Justine wrote:

Congratulations on your new home! Boulder is a beautiful city – I’m so jealous!

BTW, we were happy to kickstart Quinn Popcorn because we have a girl named Quinn, and she’ll be 3 next month. Just like you, we work for ourselves, had to move out of our home abruptly 6 weeks ago and quickly looked online to see where we could go next that would nurture the tech entrepreneur that my partner is and…

Here we are, in Austin, TX! We’ve only been here 10 days, but so far, something tells me we made the right choice. And you know what’s funny? Most of our things arrived later in a truck, but we carried our worldly possessions in our car and drove the 1200 miles with two kids and two cats, and in that car with us was a bag of Quinn popcorn. We definitely have our priorities! 🙂

8. Nikki wrote:

Inspiring-my ultimate destination is Colorado as well-congrats and thanks for sharing

9. Robin wrote:

I’d love to move to Scotland! Congrats on a successful move. : )

10. Casey wrote:

Congratulations on the move! I would back to Colorado because my husband and I loved it so much. Best of luck!

11. Carla Schuit wrote:

Denver, CO is where I would love to relocate someday~! Congrats on the move!

12. Katie wrote:

Congrats on the move! I’ve never been to the West Coast and think I’d enjoy Seattle or Portland! I’m from NY but currently living in the deep South and ready for a change.

13. Heather McCoy wrote:

Well, our dream was to move to Burlington, VT last year and in a matter of weeks, we did! We love our new life here and agree that sometimes you just have to take the leap. The splash is always rewarding 🙂
    Love you guys and all you are doing for food!

14. Emily Brouillet wrote:

Congrats! That’s so exciting. We had our dream move last June to Austin and are so happy we did it too. Wouldn’t want to be anywhere else (although we considered Boulder too and it’s so great there.) I’m so so happy for you guys and inspired by everything you have accomplished!

15. Kathy Linklater wrote:

I live in Southern California. Yes, the weather is wonderful, but way too crowded and expensive–but I was born here, so it’s home. I would love to live somewhere with trees and lots of green–and sunny weather would be nice, too.

16. Quinn (yes really!) wrote:

I don’t care where I live so long as it’s for more than 3 years. Over the past 15 years I’ve lived in Boston, California central coast, New York City, Ann Arbor, California east bay, Germany, Boston and most recently New Jersey. I just want a forever home 🙂

17. Lori W. wrote:

I would move to Harrisuburg, PA. Went to college there and love the area. Love your popcorn and wish you much success in the new location!

18. Parker wrote:

Congrats Coult! Well put. So happy for you guys.

19. Ryan wrote:

Domestically I would probably move to Seattle. Internationally I would probably live in Tokyo or London.

20. Jeanine wrote:

Congrats on the move and the business! My husband and I moved to Boston from Boulder 2.5 yrs ago. I would love to move back! We discovered Quinn’s popcorn at WF, and we love it! And then after googling Quinn’s to find out more, I realized that your sister e-introduced us when we moved here – sorry we never got together. We wish you all the success and will be supporting you here in Boston!

21. Rosemary W wrote:

I would move clear across the country from North Carolina to Yucaipa, California to be closer to my adorable 8-month-old nephew….and win him over as ‘favorite aunt’ 😉

22. Chelsie wrote:

Congrats on your move!! I loved Boulder the summer I spent there in ’04! I think I would move back there if I had a chance to 🙂

23. Kristin Troska wrote:

I would love to move to North Shore Minnesota. I love Lake Superior and all the wonderful state parks along the shore from Duluth to Grand Portage. A little stone house on a little river would be lovely. Liked and shared your facebook post. Thanks.

24. Chic M wrote:

Congratulations. I lived there (and Boston) in my school years. I think I’d like to move to Basalt, CO.

25. Sally Y. wrote:

Congratulations on the move. I am sure you will fit right in and be a welcome addition to the area. Quinn is my all time favorite Kickstarter program. Last night was a butter and sea salt night. Can’t wait to try kale! 🙂

26. Dolores Quinn C. wrote:

Good Luck in Boulder, a great place. I sent Quinn PC to my grandson who is a
    student at U of C Boulder. You probably could have walked it to his door. I
    have been following you on Twitter because of my Quinn name. hard to find in
    Virginia. Whole Foods doesnt do a good job of making it prominent. Finally
    found Kale one time (delish).