Planogram

Planogram Shmanogram (oh, and please vote!)

My goal here is probably becoming clear. I will continue to post about the package design until you are all so beaten down that anything and everything will look good enough. Seriously, sorry for the lack of variety, but that’s just how this works. This box is my life right now. This post shows a few versions of the front of the box in context (a planogram in industry speak). Also, since the flavor poll was a huge source of guidance for us I am starting a new poll for the box front (please vote!). I seriously don’t know which direction to pursue.

Feedback so far on the box has been awesome. It seems like most people are digging the new “Quinn Seal” front, but we just aren’t sure. We printed all of the options out to scale and the “vertical” version was pretty nice; so clean.

Up first is the “vertical” version labeled “a”. To me this one is so clean. The front of the box is probably 75% unprinted white. At the same time the negative space created by the interplay between the logo and husk is really awkward. Sometimes it feels like it looks a little ghetto…but maybe in a good way. Are you still following me?

I doubt many markets will be willing to take three flavors to start so I made two planograms to show the two likely scenarios.

Planogram_V1

Planogram_Triple_V1

The second option is the “Quinn Seal” and is labeled “b”. I actually love this one, but I am worried about all that personality. It looks designed for sure, but is it really us or is it just cool looking? Does it look like we are trying hard? Does it make you think pure ingredients? I just don’t know. I’m too close to it.

Planogram_V2

Planogram_Triple_V2

The first HUGE problem that this planogram illuminates is the position of microwave popcorn. What the hell happened? Really, bottom shelf! Microwave popcorn has to be the most forgotten grocery product category. That is both potentially awesome and terrible for us. Time will tell.

So, take a look at the images. Step back and squint. Which grabs you? Which sends the right message? Which of those two is more important?  Vote!

(Don’t mind the colors, we are still working on that!)

COMMENTS

1. avida wrote:

So I still like the husk size/placement of “B” (seems calm, natural, organic, whatever you want to call it), BUT I am not a fan of the actual label being white with dark text. I found it really hard to read/see your logo vs the vertical/”A” version. I think I would prefer B regardless but I guess I would want your logo to stand out more (or easier to read) when surrounded by so many other random items.

Things I would try are probably reducing size of flavor band so label stands out more. After that I would try possibly using a different color on the background of the label…I know it’s crazy but did you guys try using the same husk color as the label’s background? Then you can try white/black outlined font which might stand out more?

Hope that helps…btw, are you guys around on Monday, 5/30?

2. Sasha wrote:

I have to be honest….looking at the above now in context of the surrounding…I am loving A. It has a clean, cool, calm, uncomplicated feel to it amidst all the noise of the others….which is synonymous to me with good clean ingredients…I see that and I WILL pick it out… while B looks loud and in your face like it is yelling at you…. (but maybe that is a good thing given what you said about bottom shelves? See I am not bothered by the negative space…actually to me it is positive space…I think the human mind has gotten so cluttered that clean spaces visually speaking can be kinda refreshing in a lot of ways…its like aah less to see..less to process…

3. Becky wrote:

Just showed this to my dad to see which box caught his eye because he hasn’t seen any of your designs yet and he chose A. I originally preferred B but after seeing it on the shelf, I prefer A because it is more clean and stands out better among the other brands.

4. Jay wrote:

Definitely B for me. I like that B has less negative space. To me, B looks i) bigger, ii) cleaner, iii) less moving parts. Car metaphor: a) is a lexus, b) a volvo…. I’d take the volvo every time.

5. Jonathan wrote:

I’m liking B but I have absolutely no idea why…A kinda looks like an herbal supplement to me. Any chance you can plaster “Bacon Ranch” on there somewhere…i’m thinking about going to buy some of that stuff right now

6. Dave wrote:

Definitely A. You’d take the volvo everytime….because you know the brand. Without a brand identity you’d take the flashiest.

A establishes a brand and a logo. Can’t identify any brand in B.

7. Jeannie wrote:

A; with A the husk becomes part of your brand/logo and with B that is lost because the banner cuts into it. A, fo sho.

8. Elizabeth wrote:

So I like the top of A, with your logo but the bottom of B. Can you merge them and not put your logo in the circle? I think if you go with Just B you loose your Brand, but B is definitely little more eye catching…this is hard. I just really feel that if you go with B you loose your brand, even though it calls more from the shelf.

9. Morgan wrote:

AGREE WITH ELIZABETH. Merge the two… somehow get the big husk and bold logo and bring them together 🙂 GOOD LUCK! Charlie can’t wait to try it!

10. Jay wrote:

Very true Dave. I’d add some more clarity on my thoughts though. Nike swoosh. Starbucks mermaid. Air Jordan dunker. You don’t need words to associate those images with the brand. In my mind the ‘quinn popcorn’ and the corn husk are interchangeable. But yes, I like flashy.

11. Diane wrote:

I like (a), but I agree the husk should be bigger… Also, you probably already know, but in some of your earlier packaging text, there was a grammatical error… “Your smarter…” should be “You’re”. Can’t wait to taste!!
    Diane
    (friend of Scarlett’s)

12. ellis wrote:

I actually prefer A:
    More white space and smaller husk definitely look better in my opinion: cleaner, fresh/ simple, more sophisticated. For me, in my mind, that translates to “high quality” product. Not the “in-your-face” stuff 😉