EarlyBoxLayouts

Early Box Layouts – And My Eyes Hurt

It’s midnight and I have been working on the box layout all weekend.  I’m friggin exhausted.  I just have to suck it up because there is a long lead time on this which means I need to send a final proof in a week.

We do have a few overarching goals for the graphic design of the box.  It needs to be clean.  Every other microwave popcorn box looks like a rainbow barfed on it.  It’s to the point that we can’t be seen by yelling louder  That’s good because I would rather our brand be more restrained anyway.  Also, the box needs to say that there is some serious quality stuff inside…without actually saying it.  The feel alone should communicate this because, really, who stands in the aisle and reads the box.  Well, Kristy does, but that must be rare.

I’m posting a few of the early drafts because I want to avoid going too far down a path without getting some outside input.  Just remember, these are early drafts and need a lot of polishing…so let loose!  I can’t even imagine how many typos are lurking in there, but I am more interested in an overall impression.

This front is the logical layout but the centered husk and logo make for some awkward negative space.  I don’t think it’s the end of the world, but it just doesn’t feel great yet.

Front_01

The back of this box is going for a newsprint look.  I am not really pulling it off, but Kristy and I love this look when it’s done correctly.  There isn’t really any relationship between the front and back of the boxes yet so either can go with the other.

Back_02

The front here is trying to resolve the funky negative space from the previous layout.  To me this one starts to feel a little too gourmet, but I can’t explain why.

Front_02

The back of this box is what I consider a safer direction.  It’s pretty calm, easy to read, straightforward. Also boring?

Back_01

So, what do you think?  What does it remind you of?  Is it fun and inviting?  Is all the important info on there?

COMMENTS

1. avida wrote:

I like the 2nd pair of layouts a lot. I prefer the corn husk to bleed off the side of the box than to be centered. The 2nd back of the box layout is much more appeal to my eyes (with the common gray background, the consistent dotted line and header fonts (and points). I also like that you fit the text to be the entire width rather than leave the letter spacing to be the same (if you did it that way, I wouldn’t mind either. It would just need to be centered.

Overall, the 2nd one is calming and feels cleaner to me. 🙂

2. avida wrote:

Also, not sure if you need the facebook and email info listed below…I think if people are interested in checking it out, they’ll go to your website and see the contact info there and that they can follow you on facebook/twitter. I would avoid putting anything on your box that could potentially die out ( like facebook or emails!). [Mark’s been saying that email will become obsolete for a while now…] That could give you more room if you needed it. The only info I thought was needed was “Take a peek backstage at http://www.quinnsnacks.com. Have some feedback, good or bad? We would love to hear it!”

(Sorry for the 2-posting…)

3. Kristy wrote:

Avida, this is awesome! Thanks for the fantastic feedback. We really appreciate your consistent input on all of our posts!

Yes, the 2nd one is calm and clean- the 1st one reads much more like a news clipping. Maybe too much in the wrong way! Will work on toning this down a bit- to see how it plays out!

Will post updated versions by the end of the week!

thanks again!

4. Anonymous wrote:

Hi Kristy and Coulter,

Sorry to disagree but I like the first one better. Yes it does read like a brief summary of the news which is what I am looking for! You dont want to read the whole back label you want to skim it just like the headlines. I also like the image centered with the name above much more soothing to my eyes.

can’t wait to taste the popcorn. Yummmy Maple syrup and sea salt YES PLEASE!

Nina

5. Kate Crowley wrote:

Hi Kristy and Coulter,
    I know it has been awhile, but after connecting with Kristy on FB, I love reading your blog. I guess I’ve always had an interest in small business – and I am pleasantly surprised by how fascinated I am reading what you are up to. I also like the 2nd layouts the best. I understand the idea of going for the newsprint style on the first back, but I don’t think you went far enough. Either stick to the simple second back, or go with more dialogue boxes and funky design in the first one. Really go for it and see how it looks. I think the husk bleeding off the side looks nice and not too gourmet. People will decide if it is too ‘gourmet’ based on the price, anyway. I am a big sucker for packaging, and I would definitely buy this!
    I live in Kenya so I won’t be able to try any of this until I visit in November, but I can’t wait!!

6. Kim H. wrote:

Just sent you an email on my preference for Box #2 styling. Please bring over the copy about the bag though, it’s important!! <3 K 🙂